Friday, July 31, 2015

Freezer Surprises

It’s a good thing I bought a new refrigerator.  Now I know what happened to my favorite plastic storage container.  When I emptied out the freezer, there it was, holding a batch of chicken curry that I made back in 2011.

I don’t recall that curry, but the container, which has blue plastic snap-up locks, brought back a happy memory.
  I’d bought it about a decade ago in a kitchen supply store in Chalk Farm, a North London neighborhood where my friend Judy lives. 
 
Photo by Andy Mills
When I thought of Judy, I was reminded of a delicious cheese dish she once made me for dinner.  The cheese—Halloumi—is from Cyprus.  It’s sold in almost every London food emporium and, because it has a high melting point, is often fried, grilled or baked.  Only recently has it become widely available in the U.S. 

And that brings me back to my new refrigerator.  When I was clearing out the old one, what did I find in the cheese drawer but a package of Halloumi cheese that I’d bought at Trader Joe’s. 
 
Photo by Andy Mills
I’m making Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese for dinner tonight.  Maybe tomorrow I’ll cook up a batch of Chicken Tikka Masala with the frozen chicken breasts I transferred from the old freezer space into the new one.  Luckily they’re only 2 months old.

Tell me your freezer stories!
Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese - serves 3-4 (from Trader Joe’s package) 
 7-to-9-ounce package Halloumi cheese – cut into 1/4-inch thick slices 
Place slices of Halloumi on a hot, dry grill or hot, dry non-stick frying pan.  Lower the heat to medium and heat about 2 minutes on each side.  When golden brown and warm, remove from heat and serve with a mixed salad.
          For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

1 comment:

  1. You inspired me to clean out my icebox. That's a household chore that turns one and all into amateur archaeologists. I found an old tin cup covered by an old tin plate way in the back, far from prying eyes. Guess what was in it? Muskrat Stew that my Grandmother made for our wedding party. I put it on the veranda to thaw in the morning sun. By lunchtime, it was ready for eatin'. Clem and I enjoyed it for lunch. It had a touch of freezer burn, but other than that, it was still delicious.

    ReplyDelete