Wednesday, October 18, 2017

When an Interesting Recipe Is Not Worth Trying

Black Bean Lasagna
What finally prompted me to throw an interesting new recipe into the trash was this sentence: “Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours.”
There were several other complicated steps to this dish, which wasn’t even a main but a side to serve with my regular dinner.  Perhaps if someone else had made it for me and it tasted divine, I would have committed to preparing it myself.

I make complicated dishes all the time, including Whole Grain Bread once a week and Blueberry Jam at least once a month.  Apple Pie does not daunt me.  And just the other day I whipped up a batch of Clover Leaf Rolls.

Although it’s not one of my favorite jobs, I will debone a chicken breast if I have to.  I welcome the chance to clean 5 pounds of mussels because I am very fond of Moules Marinieres (aka mussels).  Also it’s not that time-consuming.

As a practical cook who prepares dinner at least 6 days a week, I have developed a wide range of recipes that are quick AND taste good.  Yes, Homemade Pizza requires waiting for the dough to rise, but it’s a proven success.  So is Black Bean Lasagna, which I haven’t made recently.  I think I’ll put one together for dinner tonight, 
Black Bean Lasagna – serves 8 (adapted from “Help!My Apartment Has a Dining Room”)  
8-ounce package cream cheese
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup fresh cilantro sprigs, stems removed and leaves cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil + more as needed
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 28-ounce can tomato sauce
12 lasagna noodles
1 16-ounce container cottage cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon black pepper 
Set the cream cheese on the counter to soften.  Begin heating a large pot of water. 
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.  Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper and cilantro and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften. 
Add half the black beans to the vegetable mixture.  Mash the other half and add them to the mixture.  Add the tomato sauce and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.  Remove from the heat and set aside. 
When the water comes to a boil, add the lasagna noodles, one at a time, pushing them into the water until fully submerged.  Set the timer for 12 minutes.  Stir occasionally to keep them from sticking together.  When the timer rings, taste to see if the noodles are done.  If too chewy, cook for 1 more minute.  Drain the noodles in a colander.  Separate any that have stuck together and set aside. 
Mix the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream and black pepper in a large bowl and set aside. 
Begin heating the oven to 350 degrees.  Rub the bottom and sides of an 8-x-12-inch or 9-x-13-inch pan with oil.  Cover the bottom of the pan with 4 lasagna noodles, overlapping them slightly.  Cover the noodles with one-third of the bean mixture, spreading it evenly.  Then cover the bean mixture with one-third of the cheese mixture.  Repeat two more times. 
Cover the pan with aluminum foil and seal it tightly around the edges.  Bake the lasagna for 40-45 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling. Serve immediately.
                            For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment