Sunday, December 17, 2017

Old Cookbooks

I was cleaning out my cookbook collection this morning and stumbled on some very odd recipes in some equally odd cookbooks.  Brussels Sprouts in Cream, White Salad and Pear Macaroon Salad. What on earth was I thinking when I bought these books?

I guess it was my way of avoiding the bland, boring dishes I usually ate when I was growing up.  I had my first Eggs Benedict in college and my first Spaghetti in Garlic Sauce (so exotic to me at the time) a few months after joining the New York working world.  Tabbouleh Salad at my local Lebanese restaurant was an eye-opener.

I also discovered Indian food when my Indian neighbor invited me out for dinner.  Unfortunately he ordered Vindaloo, a super-spicy curry that required me to drink half a glass of water after every bite.  It took me years to realize that not all Indian food was so hot.

Now I have several hundred cookbooks in my collection and have great fun reading through them in search of new dishes.  However, I have just said goodbye to a dozen that featured inedible 1950s food.  I don’t expect to miss them. 
Spaghetti with Garlic Sauce – serves 4-6   
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
16 ounces dried spaghetti
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese + more if needed 
Half-fill a large pot with water, cover and begin heating over high heat.  
While waiting for the water to heat, make the sauce.  Begin heating the olive oil in a small pot over medium heat.  When the oil is hot, add the garlic, salt and pepper and stir until the garlic begins to turn golden brown.  Remove from the heat and set side. 
When the water comes to a boil, add the spaghetti and set the timer for the time noted on the package.  Stir occasionally to keep the noodles from sticking together.  When the timer rings, taste a noodle to make sure it is done. If it’s not, cook for another minute.  
Set aside 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Then drain the spaghetti in a colander in the sink and immediately return the noodles to the large pot.  
Transfer the garlic sauce to the top of the noodles and toss to incorporate.  Add the water and the parsley and toss again.  Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and toss a third time.  Serve immediately.  Offer extra Parmesan cheese in a bowl, if desired.



                   For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment