Monday, December 4, 2017

Roast Beef and I

London Broil Sliced Against the Grain
Roast beef and I used to have a fine time together.  When I was growing up, going out to dinner with my family and ordering prime rib was a grand tradition.  We didn’t do it often—maybe once a year—so it was memorable.. 

My mother didn’t know how to cook prime rib.  I doubt she ever looked for it in the meat department.  As I grew up and started learning about cooking, I examined various beef cuts, but I was so confused that I mostly bought ground beef and made hamburgers. 

What was the difference between sirloin steak, porterhouse steak, New York strip steak, minute steak, flank steak, round steak and chuck steak?  Before I figured it out, I moved to London, where these cuts of meat had different names.  Luckily the city had lots of small-store butchers who were willing to answer questions.  With their help
I learned how to cook various dishes, including prime rib and London Broil.

Then cholesterol hit the headlines, and we cut way back on our beef consumption. 

The other day when I spotted some beef labeled London Broil, I remembered that I once knew how to cook it.  I also remembered that to keep London Broil edible you have to cut it “against the grain.”  That means slicing so that the slice doesn’t look like a piece of corduroy.  You also have to cook London Broil medium rare to avoid 5 minutes of chewing each bite.

London Broil Sliced with the Grain (do not slice it this way)
London Broil – serves 4 
1 1/2 pounds flank or top round steak (often labeled London Broil)
Salt
Black pepper
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
Steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce or horseradish sauce (optional) 
Two hours before you plan to eat, remove the steak from the fridge and set it on a large plate to come to room temperature.  Sprinkle both side liberally with salt and black pepper. 
About 20 minutes before you plan to eat, add the oil to a large frying pan and begin heating over medium high heat.  When a drop of water flicked into the pan sizzles, gently place the steak into the pan and set the timer for 5 minutes. 
When the timer rings, carefully turn the steak over and set the timer for 4 minutes.  When the timer rings, turn off the heat and transfer the steak to a cutting board.  Let it sit for 10 minutes. 
Begin slicing the meat at a 45-degree angle very thinly against the grain.  If you’re not sure if you’re cutting against the grain, examine the cut slice.  If it looks like there are straight lines or ridges in the meat (see photo above), you’re cutting with the grain  Stop and turn the meat 1/4 of the way around and cut slices against the grain.  The beef will be medium rare and ready to eat. 
If you like, serve with steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce or horseradish sauce.  Leftovers are good cold. 

                     For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment