Saturday, February 3, 2018

Getting Out of a Cooking Rut


When I was growing up, every Friday night we had dinner at my grandmother’s house.  Usually it was boiled chicken, preceded by chicken soup.  Grandma was probably in a cooking rut.

Now our house is the venue for that weekly dinner.  Although boiled chicken is never on the menu, I’m the one in the cooking rut.  There are only certain dishes I can serve that we all will eat—vegetarian lasagna, stuffed tortillas, blintzes--and I’m tired of them.

At times like this one of my great joys in life is dinner at somebody else’s house.
  That hasn’t happened much recently, though, because many of my friends seem allergic to cooking.  It’s too easy to buy frozen dinners, I guess.

Thank goodness for my friend Ilene.  Not only did she invite us for dinner last week but also she served something new--fresh salmon with a wonderful mustard sauce.  It was delightful.  I think I’ll serve it on Sunday, along with some veggie burgers for the vegetarians. 
Baked Salmon with Dijon Mustard Sauce – serves 4-6  

          1 1/2 -2 pounds salmon fillets
          1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
          1/2 cup mayonnaise 
          1/4 teaspoon tarragon 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. 
Cut salmon into 4 to 6 pieces. Place on the foil, skin side down. 
Mix mustard, mayonnaise and tarragon in a small bowl until well blended. (For a more intense mustard flavor, add another tablespoon mustard.) 
Spread the mustard/mayonnaise mixture on the tops and sides of the salmon pieces.   
Bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon pieces. The salmon is done when it flakes easily with a fork.

                        For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment