Friday, February 16, 2018

Rice Vinegar: What Is It and How Do I Use It?


Until I began cooking Asian dishes, I was unfamiliar with rice vinegar. At first I substituted cider vinegar, which seemed to work--although I wasn't really sure what the dish was supposed to taste like. Then I bought a bottle of rice vinegar, which is made from fermented rice.

Tasting it on its own was a shock. The label describes it as "the mild vinegar," but the back of my throat did not enjoy the experience. But when I mixed it with other ingredients, including oil and spices, the sharp flavor mellowed out.

Somehow I used up two bottles of rice vinegar within a few months. It was a good addition to Super-Easy Fried Tofu  and Asian Chicken Slaw I've also added it to my homemade oil and vinegar dressing recipe. Rice vinegar is not a kitchen essential, but using it makes me feel like a more sophisticated cook.

                       For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment