Wednesday, May 30, 2018

How to Save a Lot of Money by Not Eating Out


Maybe I’m a control freak, but I like to cook and know what I’m eating.  Some nights, though, I throw up my hands in horror when I realize I’m cooking for 10 people.  That’s what happened this past weekend.  After two days spent in the kitchen, I heard myself suggesting, “Let’s eat out.”

I had already served Homemade Vegetarian Lasagna with Meatballs on the side, Garlic Bread, Salad, Honeydew Melon Slices and Chocolate Mousse Cake on Friday night. 

Saturday night was a birthday celebration with a meal request attached: Sizzling Pork Noodles, Spaghetti in Vodka Sauce (for the vegetarians), Garlic Bread, Fresh Fruit Salad and Devil’s Food Cake with Buttercream Icing.

Monday night was going to be another birthday celebration for 10, with a meal request involving Homemade Pizza, Salad and Mississippi Mud Pie.

Cooking for 10 is not as easy or as cheap as cooking for 2.  I’d estimate Friday and Saturday night dinners cost about $30-$35 each.  Monday night’s dinner was less – maybe $20.

But Sunday’s night out for 10 at a moderately priced Italian restaurant cost $220.  I was happy to sit and enjoy my $12.50 prosciutto panini sandwich without having to lean over the stove for hours.  And I could actually eat at the same time everyone else was eating. 

All cooks deserve a break once in a while, but $22 per person vs. $3.50 per person for dinner is a sobering contrast.
Buttercream Icing – for a 1-layer or 2-layer cake (adapted from “Help! My Apartment Has a Dining Room!”)  
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
16-ounce box powdered or 4 cups (confectioners’) sugar   
2 tablespoons milk + more if needed 
Put the butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.  Add the vanilla, salt and powdered sugar and process until well blended.  The mixture will be very thick.  Add the milk and process until smooth and spreadable.  You may need another teaspoon of milk to get the right consistency. 
Spread the icing onto the cake with a wide-bladed knife.  Make sure not to press so hard that cake crumbs are dislodged and mixed in with the icing.  Serve the cake cold or at room temperature.
                              For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment