Monday, June 18, 2018

Do Pie Crusts Scare You?


Rolling out pie dough often scares cooks so much that they forget about making a pie.  I inherited my grandmother’s rolling pin, which somehow gave me the courage to makes pies.  However, I’m still hesitant to make those that require a top crust.

This very easy pie crust recipe made out of cream-filled sandwich cookies (like Hydrox or Oreo) only works for desserts.  I came up with it several years ago when I was unable to locate a box of graham crackers.  I liked it better than a graham cracker crust and have been making it ever since.

I like to use this crust for Mississippi Mud Pie and Chocolate Cheesecake.  
Cookie Crumb Crust – makes 1 
Half of a 15-ounce package sandwich cookies - about 15 cookies
3 tablespoons softened butter or canola oil  
Begin preheating the oven to 375 degrees. 
Crush the cookies in a food processor.  Or put them in a plastic storage bag, seal the bag and crush with a rolling pin or heavy can.  
Add the butter or canola oil and process or mix thoroughly.  Transfer the crumbs into a pie pan and press them firmly together to cover the bottom of the pan.  Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the crumbs start to brown slightly and are holding together. 
Remove from the oven and let cool before filling. 
                          For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment