Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Perfect Fruit Salad



It’s long been a family tradition to serve a tossed salad with dinner.  It’s easy to make, and you can get away with lettuce and tomatoes if need be.  I can’t count how many iceberg lettuces I cut up over the years before bagged greens came along. 

In my mind fruit salad is entirely different.  It requires planning.  If you don’t have at least five kinds of fruit, it looks anemic.  And it can’t really be just some cut-up apples, bananas and oranges.  Well, it can but no one eating at my table thrills to that selection.


The solution turned out to be the present of a pineapple corer.  Before it came into my life, I almost never bought a fresh pineapple.  It’s a beast of a fruit to prepare, but once I got the corer, an ingenious device that kids love to use, fruit salad became a viable option.

Fresh pineapple tastes considerably better than canned pineapple.  Recently I’ve been able to buy pineapples in Southern California for less than $1 apiece.  Just add cut-up strawberries, kiwis and apple, plus whole raspberries, blackberries and grapes, and you have an exotic and healthy side dish.

                         For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment