Saturday, September 1, 2018

Leftovers and Tortillas: A Marriage Made in Heaven


No matter how carefully I plan a meal, I almost always wind up with leftovers.  I used to hate the little parcels of wrapped-up food in the fridge, thinking, ‘If I’d liked it so much when I made it, why didn’t I eat it all?’

I can’t bear to throw food away unless it’s moldy.  That does happen when food parcels get pushed to the back of the shelf, but NOT ANY LONGER if I can help it.


I just bought a double package of flour tortillas (a total of 36 8-inch-across wraps), and I intend to fill them with leftovers.  I started serving these tortillas last night with leftover rice and Shakshuka, a vegetable dish I make a few times a month.  It works perfectly as a tortilla filler.

Here is the universal recipe:

Heat a flour tortilla in a dry frying pan over medium-high heat.  When brown spots start appearing on the underside of the tortilla, flip it over.  Immediately sprinkle on some grated cheese and a few spoonfuls of whatever leftovers you are hoping to use up.  Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 20 seconds, or until the cheese has melted and the filling is warm—but before the tortilla overcooks and becomes unbendable.  If you want the filling to be really hot, heat it up separately before adding it to the tortilla.  Add some hummus, if you like.  Serve the tortilla flat on a large plate and pass the hot sauce.

                    For more easy recipes order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment