Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Surprising Ingredient in These Mashed Potatoes


Lobster and Mashed Potatoes are two items I never expected to see served in the same bowl.  But there I was, standing in a buffet line, and in front of me was a big dish of mashed potatoes and a sign: Lobster Mashed Potatoes.  I couldn’t see any lobster in the potatoes, but it was 10 pm and the lighting was poor. 

I put a large dollop of the mixture on my plate, found a seat and began eating.  Yes indeed, there were large pieces of lobster mixed into the richly buttered potatoes.  I liked the combination.  I liked it so much that I ate every scrap and went back to get some more.

Could I make this dish at home?
  Why not?  It seemed easy, specially if I swapped shrimp for lobster. Why not Shrimp Mashed Potatoes?  To me, shrimp and lobster taste similar, and shrimp are cheaper.

The combination worked.  Now when I have a dinner party and need some talking points, I will be serving Shrimp Mashed Potatoes! 
Shrimp Mashed Potatoes – serves 2-3 
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1-2 cups water
1/2 cup milk + more if needed
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 extra-large cooked shrimp, cut in half 
Put the potato slices in a medium pot and add water to cover.  Bring the water to a boil over high heat.  Turn the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 15-to-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.  Remove from the heat and drain, leaving the potatoes in the pot. 
Add the milk, butter, garlic, salt and black pepper and mash thoroughly.  If the potato mixture seems too stiff, add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue mashing.  Stir in the shrimp and serve immediately.
                        For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment