Monday, October 1, 2018

The Joy of Greek Salad


When I was a teenager, I spent the summer in Greece as an American Field Service Exchange Student.  I drank goat’s milk (not my favorite beverage) and picked fresh figs off trees (don’t eat too many at once because there are consequences).

The one thing I didn’t do was eat a Greek Salad.
  I never saw one in Thessalonica or Chania, the two cities where I stayed, but I did eat sliced fresh tomatoes.  Never was lettuce included, nor did I see feta cheese.  The families I stayed with didn’t serve it.

Today, Greek Salad is often on my menu.  Because of the feta cheese component, this salad provides protein for vegetarian members of my family.  I have also developed a fondness for feta cheese and Greek olives.  And I love tomatoes that taste like tomatoes.

Some nights I’ll have Greek Salad and Garlic Bread for dinner and remind myself how lucky I was to have lived abroad as a teenager. 
Greek Salad – serves 3-4 as a main dish or 8 as a salad (adapted from “Help! My Apartment has a Dining Room!"
Salad 
1 small head romaine lettuce, washed, patted dry and torn into bite-size pieces
3 large tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 medium red onion cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
12-16 Kalamata olives 
Dressin
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill)
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper 
Combine the lettuce, cut tomatoes, cucumber and red onion in a large salad bowl.  Add the feta cheese and olives.  Set aside and make the dressing. 
Combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, oregano, dill, salt and black pepper in a small jar with a lid.  Shake thoroughly, pour the dressing over the salad and toss.  Serve immediately, if possible, or refrigerate, covered, until needed.
                For more easy recipes order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment