Saturday, November 10, 2018

When Best Intentions Aren’t Enough


I had been thinking about roasted, spicy chicken legs for dinner ever since I read a favorable review of a local chicken restaurant.   ‘I should be able to make something similar,’ I said to myself while roaming around the supermarket. 

When I spotted a large plastic-wrapped package of chicken legs on sale, I knew my dream dinner was about to come true.  I’ve roasted chicken parts before so I just followed my instincts, mixing together a few spices with some olive oil, coating the legs and baking them for about 45 minutes.   Then I popped them briefly under the broiler to get crispy.

Major disappointment!
  The legs were just about edible.  We ate some of them but couldn’t face the leftovers.  That’s why I used up the leg meat in Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – serves 4 as a main course 
3 cups chicken broth +more if needed
4 chopped scallions, both white and green parts 
1 tablespoon chopped garlic 
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups cooked chicken, cut roughly into 1/2-inch pieces 
1 cup cooked spaghetti, cut into 2-inch lengths 
In a large pot combine the chicken broth, scallions, garlic and black pepper and bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken and spaghetti.  Continue heating for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is hot. 
Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed. 
NOTE: you can add thinly-cut carrots, mushrooms, broccoli or other  vegetables when you bring the mixture to a boil.  Cook an extra 5 minutes before adding the chicken and spaghetti.
                         For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment