Saturday, February 9, 2019

How Much Meat Is Too Much?


Eating meat can be a sensitive conversation topic.  Here in California many people pride themselves on following special diets.  If you’re having a dinner party, it’s important to survey everyone to find out what they can/can’t eat.  Often they say they don’t eat meat. This may be one reason so few people I know actually cook.

I persist in inviting people over because I like cooking, but
I tread carefully lest I put unsuitable dishes on the table.  When I was growing up, Prime Rib of Beef was my favorite meat dish.  I ordered it whenever my family went out to a restaurant, which was maybe three times a year.  By the time I realized I could make it in my own kitchen, we had decided to eat less meat. 

Prime rib roast is a serious piece of beef and is no fun to serve if most people at the table are non-meat eaters. So for dinner parties I switched to Leg of Lamb.  That worked for a while because lamb is still a novelty among some of my friends.  I also began serving Chicken Tikka Masala, and that was so popular that there were never any leftovers. 

Trying to find a middle ground, I turned to pork, making a stew out of a package of boneless pork.  I cut it into 1-inch cubes, trimmed off all visible fat and cooked it in a spicy tomato sauce.  In the days of my childhood, the stew would have generously served four.  But portions are smaller today.  I froze half of it and will bring it out when I get a meat craving.
Spicy Pork Stew - serves 6-8 
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil – divided use
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1½ pounds boneless pork
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup water – plus more if needed
Cooked rice (optional) 
Begin heating 1 tablespoon oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and stir for several minutes, or until it begins to soften. 
Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, ginger, paprika, turmeric, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper (if using).  Continue stirring until the spices are incorporated into the mixture. 
Add the pork and stir-fry until the meat has browned on all sides.  Stir in the tomato sauce and 1 cup water.  There should be enough liquid to cover the pork pieces.  Add more water, 1/4 cup at a time, if necessary. 
Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.  Simmer, covered, for about 1½ hours, or until the meat is easily pierced with a fork.  Serve immediately or reheat when needed.  Serve with rice, if preferred.
                            For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment