Thursday, March 14, 2019

Cave Woman Cooking!


Celeriac Soup is perhaps the most delicate soup I’ve ever eaten, and yet to make it I felt like a cave woman.  Peeling the main ingredient, a 1-pound celery root, required the sharpest knife I owned.  And cutting it into 1-inch pieces took brute strength.  But it was worth it.

I took on this challenge for one simple reason. I had a delicious bowl of Celeriac Soup a few weeks ago at the National Gallery Café in London, and I wanted to try making it at home.

National Gallery Cafe's Celeriac Soup
Step Number One was finding a celeriac root. There are some strange-looking vegetables for sale, and celeriac root (also known as celery root) is one of them.  It’s a baseball-sized root that looks like a giant turnip with small stalks of celery growing out of the top. 

My usual grocery stores didn’t have any, but a nearby upmarket grocer carried it.  The celeriac root I chose weighed one pound and cost $3.99. 

After peeling it and cutting it into small cubes, I transferred the cubes into a bowl of water.  My research told me to add a tablespoon of lemon juice to the water to keep the flesh from turning brown.  

When I was ready to start cooking, I used my basic Green Soup recipe as a guide.  Celeriac soup tastes a little of celery.  For extra flavor I added some maple syrup.  The end result was almost as good as the National Gallery Café’s version, although I left out the almonds because one family member has a nut allergy.

Mom's Celeriac Soup
Celeriac Soup – serves 6-8 
1 large onion, roughly cut
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound celeriac root, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into thin slices
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
5 cups chicken broth + more if needed
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and stir for about 5 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften.  
Add the celeriac root pieces, potato slices, salt, black pepper and chicken broth.  Bring the mixture to a boil, turn down the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the celeriac root and potatoes can be easily pierced with a knife.  Turn off the heat, remove the lid and let cool for about 10 minutes.  
Transfer to a blender and process until smooth.  If the mixture seems too thick, add more broth, 1/4 cup at a time.  The soup should have a smooth, creamy consistency. 
Return the soup to the pot and stir in the maple syrup and cream, if using.  Reheat and serve.  This soup is also good served cold.  
                  For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment