Thursday, April 4, 2019

I Can Make That Too: Mom’s Eggs Benedict vs. Fischer’s Viennese Café’s Version

Fischer's Viennese Cafe Version of Eggs Benedict
I credit James Bond with my introduction to Eggs Benedict, a wonderful, slightly decadent egg dish that, if made right, you’ll never forget.

Eggs Benedict is usually served for breakfast or brunch, but 007 had his with Jack Daniel’s as a late-night snack in “You Only Live Twice.”  I prefer mine for brunch because it gives me the rest of the day to digest all the butter the dish calls for.

Eggs Benedict are more complicated than an omelet and can go wrong in several ways.  But if you get them even partly right, the effort is worth it.

Fischer’s Viennese Café in London got them perfectly right, although a plate containing two of them cost $21.  They were wonderful—the best I’ve ever eaten. 

Mom's Version of Eggs Benedict
When it became my turn to recreate this dish, I had to prepare a step-by-step list.  The first and most formidable challenge was Hollandaise sauce.  I considered making it myself.  But after I read a few recipes, all of which required raw egg yolks, I decided to look for other options that did not involve eating uncooked yolks. 

My local high-end grocery store had no bottled Hollandaise sauce, but they did have a packet of Knorr’s Classic Hollandaise sauce for $2.79.  It looked easy to use, so I bought it.  It was simple to mix but required 2 tablespoons butter.

Then came another essential ingredient: English muffins.  Each half-muffin provides a platform on which to place a slice of ham or Canadian bacon and a poached egg.  The whole thing is then topped with Hollandaise sauce.

You can’t really see the English muffin once it’s loaded, but you can certainly taste it.  This is not the time for stale store-brand muffins.  Thomas’ English Muffins are my favorite, although I very much liked Fischer’s specially baked version, which is thicker yet somehow airier. 

I used Canadian bacon instead of a 1/4-inch thick slice of ham.  Next time I’ll try it with ham.  And maybe I’ll look further afield for bottled Hollandaise sauce—just to see how it compares to Knorr’s packet, which was pretty good but not up to Fischer’s standards.


How did Mom’s version of Eggs Benedict compare? Fischer’s were better.  But then they cost a lot more.  If I factor in the airfare, forget it.  Making Eggs Benedict at home is much cheaper, and there’s no jet lag.

Eggs Benedict – makes 4 
Sauce 
1 packet Knorr’s Classic Hollandaise sauce 
2 tablespoons butter  
Bacon or Ham 
4 slices Canadian bacon or 4 half-inch thick slices ham       
Eggs 
1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar 
1 teaspoon salt 
4 large eggs    
Muffins 
2 English muffins, split 
Mix up the Hollandaise sauce according to the packet directions and set aside.  Heat the Canadian bacon or ham for 2 minutes, remove from the heat, cover and set aside. 
To poach the eggs, fill a small pot with several inches of water. Add vinegar and salt and bring to a simmer. The water will have bubbles around the edges.  Crack an egg into a small bowl and slide it carefully into the simmering water.  Repeat quickly until all the eggs are in the water.  Cover and set the timer for 3 minutes. 
While the eggs are cooking, toast the English muffins and set them out on plates, cut side up.  Place the Canadian bacon or ham onto each half muffin. 
When the timer rings, the egg whites should be firm and the yolks runny.  Using a slotted spoon lift each egg from the water, let it drain and then place it gently on the bacon or ham. 
Spoon Hollandaise sauce over the egg and serve with a knife and fork.
                        For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment