Friday, May 31, 2019

Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce: What Are They and How Do I Use Them?



When I moved to California, my neighbor told me about Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, a key ingredient in some Mexican recipes.  Eventually I bought a 7-ounce can to try it.  Here is what learned:

Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce is very spicy because of its main ingredient--dried and smoked chipotle peppers (most likely red jalapeno peppers).  So proceed cautiously. Other sauce ingredients are likely to include water, onions, vinegar, tomato paste, iodized salt, dried peppers, sugar, and soybean oil.

Some people use Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce to dribble over pork chops or other meats.  I used a spoonful mixed into tomato sauce to flavor tacos.  A little goes a long way, especially if you’re not used to highly spiced foods.
On the label of my little can, it says “7 servings.”  That means you need only a tiny bit to make something extremely spicy.  Remember, you can always add more but you cannot take any away. If you have leftovers, freeze them in tablespoon portions in a plastic freezer bag.

            For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment