Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Loving Tandoori Chicken


Photo courtesy Tuttle Publishing
One of the best meals I had in London some years ago was Tandoori Chicken.  I’d never heard of it, but restaurant critics were raving about this spicy Indian chicken baked in a tandoor oven.  I assumed it was mostly exaggeration—until I tasted it myself. 

Thus was born a new family dining-out experience.  At the time our two children were under 8, and they weren’t interested in spicy food.  On the other hand Bart and I couldn’t get enough of this newly discovered way to cook chicken—a way I could not duplicate since my oven didn’t heat to 800 degrees.

At least twice a month the four of us would hope on a bus to Soho, a popular dining area in London, and grab a table at The Ganges.  We didn’t need to look at the menu because we knew what we wanted: Tandoori Chicken and Naan, a flat bread baked on the outside of a tandoor oven.

Once the food arrived, I would surreptitiously open my purse and sneak out some liverwurst sandwiches, which the kids would happily devour while Bart and I tackled the chicken.  Over the years we have had many laughs about this dining ritual. 

Now Tandoori Chicken is a family favorite, although my oven can only heat to about 550 degrees. Thank goodness I discovered a new cookbook called “Asian Salads” from Tuttle Publishing.  In it is a recipe for Oven-Baked Tandoori Chicken Salad.  It’s easy to make and guaranteed to make us reminisce about those good old days. 
Oven-Baked Tandoori Chicken Salad – serves 2-3 (adapted from “Asian Salads” from Tuttle Publishing) 
10 ounces boneless chicken breasts, skin removed
3 tablespoons plain unsweetened yogurt
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 small white onion
2 small green peppers
4-6 cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
Ground cumin to taste (optional) 
Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl.  Add the yogurt, white wine, garlic, fresh ginger, salt, cumin and ground coriander and rub them into the chicken. 
Cut the onion into 3 wedges.  Cut the green bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. 
Preheat the oven to 430 degrees.  Put the chicken, onion, green peppers and tomatoes on a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil.  Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are no longer pink inside.  Test a piece to make sure, and if it is still pink, bake another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with more ground cumin, if you like.  Serve warm or cold.
                            For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"             

No comments:

Post a Comment