Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Best Use of Your Time in the Kitchen

Mississippi Mud Pie
Some days I feel like spending hours cooking. It allows me to not think about other things.  Other days I can barely force myself to get a meal on the table.  So I have developed some tricks to keep us from going hungry.

1) Examine what’s in the freezer. Is there a main dish in there, hiding behind the ice cubes?  Sometimes there actually is.  It could be a leftover or an actual main dish, deliberately prepared and frozen when I was in the mood to cook.

2) Are there eggs available? If yes, can I convince Bart he wants an omelet for dinner?  Since this is one dish he knows how to make, I can then suggest he cook that night.

3) Change the menu so I spend less time preparing. This actually happened yesterday.  I was planning a birthday dinner for a young family member and asked him what he would like to eat. “Homemade pizza and a chocolate cake with buttercream icing,” he replied.  I knew I couldn’t change his mind about the pizza, a time-consuming main dish when you’re feeding 6 people.  But I knew he also liked Mississippi Mud Pie, which takes 15 minutes to make, as opposed to the 90 minutes the cake would take.  I asked if he would mind switching to this chocolate ice cream cake, and he said, “Sure.”  By the time dinner came around, he had forgotten what dessert he’d asked for!

No comments:

Post a Comment