Thursday, August 15, 2019

I Can Make That Too: Shrimp Salad in Mom’s Kitchen vs. the Restaurant Version

Shrimp Salad from Petros
For me, eating cold shrimp has always meant Shrimp Cocktail, the classic appetizer that made dining out in the 1950’s a special treat.  I make it at home occasionally when I’m feeling nostalgic, but today shrimp for me is more of an ingredient in a stir-fry, soup or casserole.

Now thanks to a Shrimp Salad I ordered at Petros, a Greek restaurant in Manhattan Beach, CA, I have new respect for cold shrimp. 

Before I left, I jotted down all the ingredients listed on the menu. I made my version of Shrimp Salad last night, and it was a hit!

Mom's Shrimp Salad
Mom’s Shrimp Salad – serves 6 as a main dish 
2 pounds small shrimp (between 50-to-70 per pound), cooked or raw
1/2 small red onion, cut into small pieces
4 large radishes, cut into small pieces
1 large carrot or a handful of baby carrots, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Oil & Vinegar salad dressing
3 small avocados 
If the shrimp are not cooked, add them to a pot of boiling water and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, or until they turn pink on the outside and white in the middle.  Cool in cold water and cut each into 4 pieces. If they are already cooked, cut each into 4 pieces.  Put the shrimp in a large bowl. 
Add the red onion, radishes, carrot, parsley and dill and mix thoroughly.  Add a few tablespoons salad dressing and mix again. 
Wash the avocados and cut each in half.  Remove and discard the pits.  Carefully scoop out the flesh from each half and slice thinly. 
Place an equal number of avocado slices on 6 plates and then add 1 cup of shrimp mixture to each plate.  Serve.  Offer extra dressing if desired.
             For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment