Thursday, September 26, 2019

Looks Can Be Deceiving


Throughout my adult life I have made strong efforts to cook from scratch, rather than buy frozen dinners or prepared meals.  I made an exception the other day when I saw these prepared but uncooked chicken legs at my grocery store's meat counter.


I baked them, and they smelled delicious.  Regrettably they did not taste delicious.  Next time I get a craving for baked chicken, I will use my own recipe.
Simple Baked Chicken Breasts - serves 4 
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
1 lemon
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper 
Place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  For easy cleanup, line a roasting pan with aluminum foil. 
Cut off and discard any fat attached to the chicken breasts.  Rinse the lemon and cut it into 1/8-inch slices.  Combine the oil, garlic, paprika, salt and black pepper in a cup and mix well. 
Put the chicken breasts in a single layer in the roasting pan and and spoon the oil mixture on top.  Lay lemon slices on the breasts and bake about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is firm and white all the way through.  Test a piece by cutting into it to make sure the middle is white, not pink.  Large breasts may need to bake for a further 5-10 minutes. 
Serve immediately with the lemon slices in place.  Or let cool, refrigerate, covered, and serve cold.
             For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment