Saturday, October 26, 2019

Two Recipes for the Same Dish Equals Confusion


I recently cut out a recipe from a local newspaper for Ricotta Stuffed Shells.  I’d never cooked giant shells before and thought it would be the perfect dish to serve to some vegetarian friends.  I added the ingredients to my grocery list and headed out to the store, where among other items I bought a box of giant shells.

Back home in my kitchen I noticed a Ricotta Stuffed Shells recipe on the box.
Some of the ingredients were the same as listed in the newspaper recipe, while some weren’t.  Since my ingredients were keyed to the newspaper recipe, that’s the one I used.

Here’s what I learned.  I should have used the recipe on the box.  It had fewer ingredients, but they were all important.  The newspaper version threw in unnecessary ingredients, such as zest and juice of a small lemon and a few mini-portions of spices..  The biggest difference, though, was that the recipe on the box called for half the box of shells, while the recipe I used required the whole box.  I wound up with twice as many cooked shells but only enough filling for half of them.  I combined the best of both recipes for my own take.
Mom’s Stuffed Shells with Pesto – serves 4-6 
1/2 box dried giant shells
1 teaspoon olive oil for greasing pan
2 1/2 cups ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
1 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (divided use)
1 cup Parmesan cheese (divided use)
2 large eggs
4 large scallions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup pesto sauce + more if needed* 
Cook the giant shells according to the directions on the package.  Drain and let cool.
Combine the ricotta cheese, 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs, scallions, salt and black pepper in a large bowl. Stir well until combined. 
Grease a roasting pan with the oil.  Begin preheating the oven to 375 degrees. 
Fill the shells with the cheese mixture and place closely together in the roasting pan with the open part of the shells facing up.  Sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.  Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for about 15 minutes.  The shells should be hot but not beginning to dry out. 
Remove from the oven.  Put 1 teaspoon pesto sauce on top of each shell and serve with remaining pesto sauce.  Or let diners add the pesto sauce themselves. 
* Pesto Sauce is available at most grocery stores and food warehouses.
                           For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment