Tuesday, November 5, 2019

I Like Fried Chicken, But…


I like fried chicken, but I will never make it because of the amount of oil involved.  Years ago while working in a Little League snack bar, I learned how to handle a deep fat fryer. That’s when I decided I would not cook this way at home.  For one thing, I’m too clumsy to be around boiling oil.  For another, I don’t want to deal with all that oil in my kitchen.  It’s too potentially messy.  And if the words “fire extinguisher” are mentioned in the cooking instructions, that is a turn off.

However, nothing will stop me from ordering fried chicken at a restaurant.  Recently, though, I have been reconsidering. Could I make fried chicken that has crunchiness without a deep oil bath?

The crunchiest coating I have ever used in cooking is Fried Panko Bread Crumbs.   Why not try frying my chicken in a frying pan?  I dredged 1/4-inch thick slices of uncooked chicken in flour, beaten egg, Panko Crumbs and a selection of spices and fried them as I would an egg.  

It worked.  The slices turned out crunchy, boneless and spicy--everything I like about Fried Chicken without a quart of hot oil or the Fire Department to think about.   
Crunchy Fried Sliced Chicken– serves 2-3 
1 pound boneless chicken breasts*
1/4 cup flour + more if needed
1 large beaten egg + 1 more egg if needed
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs + more if needed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil + more if needed 
*If you can’t find pre-sliced raw chicken breasts, cut or use a rolling pin to pound boneless chicken breasts into 1/4-inch slices.  
Put the flour, beaten egg and Panko breadcrumbs in 3 soup bowls.  Add the
garlic powder,  oregano and paprika to the Panko bread crumbs and mix together well.  
Set out a sheet pan to place the breaded chicken on before cooking it. 
Dip a piece of chicken into the flour, making sure the flour covers both sides.  Shake off excess flour. Then dip the floured piece into the beaten egg so that it covers both sides.  Then dip the piece into the Panko crumbs and spices, covering both sides.  Place gently on the sheet pan and continue the process until all the chicken pieces are completed and lying on the sheet pan, adding more flour, another egg or Panko crumbs if needed.  Season the crumb-covered chicken slices with salt and black pepper.  
Begin heating the oil in a large frying pan.  When it is hot, transfer as many pieces of chicken to the frying pan as it will hold.  Cook chicken for 3-to-4 minutes per side or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown on both sides.  Cut into a piece to make sure the inside is white, not pink. If it’s pink, cook for 1 more minute.  When the first batch of chicken finishes cooking, transfer it to a clean platter or plate and cover loosely to keep warm.  Or use 2 frying pans so all the chicken is ready at once.  Serve.
                         For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment