Sunday, December 29, 2019

Cara Cara Oranges: What Are They and How Do I Use Them?


I am always excited when Cara Cara oranges appear in my grocery store in November.  Every morning I like to drink some fresh orange juice, which means finding a juicy orange to squeeze.

That should be easy enough since I live in California, but it’s not true.  Once Valencia oranges go out of season in the fall, I’m left with Navel oranges.  More often than not, they provide only a small amount of juice.

Just recently I discovered Cara Cara oranges, which are a type of Navel orange that came into existence about 40 years ago in Venezuela. They are sweeter than plain Navels and have almost twice as much juice.  Their flesh is red-orange.  Squeeze them for juice or use them in fruit salads or any recipe calling for oranges. Slice them thinly and decorate a serving platter.  Or simply peel them, separate into sections and eat.

                            For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment