Thursday, December 19, 2019

Sick of Your Vegetable Side Dishes?


Long ago I became dis-enamoured of that old standard veggie—frozen peas.  I can’t remember when I stopped eating them, but I do keep a bag in the freezer.  I use it for sports injuries, to reduce the swelling.

I try to keep a variety of fresh veggies in the fridge.  I have been known to cook asparagus, okra, sugar snap peas, snow peas, parsnips, spinach and tomatoes,   Right now in my vegetable bin I have a head of cauliflower, a large stem of broccoli and a few colorful bell peppers. 

Last night I used up the bok choy and 2 bell peppers to make a quick stir-fry.  We ate all of it because it was so good.  I don’t normally buy bok choy, which is a member of the cabbage family, but I will from now on. I’d forgotten that it cooks in less than 5 minutes.  You can also eat it raw. 
Bok Choy and Peppers – serves 2-3 
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 bell peppers, seeds removed and thinly sliced
1 large bok choy, trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper 
Begin heating the oil in a large frying pan, wok or pot over medium high heat.  Add the chopped garlic and stir briefly.  Then add the bell pepper, bok choy, salt and black pepper.  Stir-fry for several minutes, or until the bok choy has softened.  Remove from the heat and serve immediately.  Or set aside and reheat when needed.
                           For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment