Wednesday, January 22, 2020

A New Way to Serve Shrimp


When I first learned that I didn’t have to dine out in order to eat a shrimp cocktail, my instinct was to make a shrimp cocktail at home.  When that worked, I became more adventurous, sampling and liking such exotic (to me) dishes as shrimp stir-fry, spicy grilled shrimp and shrimp tacos. 

Now whenever I see shrimp on sale, I buy a pound or two.  Soon my freezer is overflowing. 

A space problem is what prompted me to make a shrimp quiche.  I’ve made and eaten dozens, if not hundreds, of quiches, but I never thought of adding shrimp.  How bad could a shrimp quiche be?  Not bad at all.  In fact, it was delightful.  There were leftovers, and we're eating them tonight.


Shrimp Quiche – serves 4 as a main course 
1 partly baked pie crust – click here for recipe 
1 cup small curd cottage cheese or ricotta
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces cooked, peeled shrimp, sliced in half along the back curve 
Make and bake the pie crust for 10-to-12 minutes and set aside.  You can do this earlier in the day. 
When ready to make the filling, place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 
In a large bowl combine the cottage cheese or ricotta, sour cream, eggs, garlic, salt, black pepper and shrimp and stir well, making sure the shrimp are scattered through the mixture.  Transfer the mixture into the pie crust. 
Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until the top of the quiche is firm and the exposed pie crust edge has begun to brown.  Remove from the oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
                   For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment