Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Now Versus Then


When I look at what I eat now, as opposed to what I ate a decade ago, I am surprised by how adventurous I have become.  What happened to me?

Age…Travel…Curiosity…Health…Boredom.  I started trying new recipes and unusual foods—bok choy, anyone?  Mostly I enjoyed what I cooked.  So did Bart, who had embarked on a plan to lose a few pounds and was onboard with substituting olive oil for butter whenever possible.  The taste was a little different, but the new me liked the end result.

My next cooking change involved spices.  Why had I been so reluctant to add bigger amounts?  Maybe I was being too thrifty, not realizing that I was cheating myself of flavor.  Now I use more spices and bigger portions when cooking, but I do have to be careful with the cayenne pepper.

Perhaps the biggest change, though, is that we eat less red meat.  Also, the portions are smaller.  Vegetables plus homemade garlic bread make sure we don’t leave the table hungry.

The recipe below, adapted from the New York Times, illustrates what I’m talking about.

Curried Chicken Breasts - serves 4

2 tablespoons flour + more if needed
4 6-oz chicken breasts, pounded 1/2-inch thick
1/2 teaspoon salt + more if needed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 oz baby spinach (about 4 cups)

Put flour on a plate.  Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and then dredge in flour until lightly coated, adding more flour if necessary.

Put 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.  Add 2 breasts and cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes.  Flip over and cook another 3-4 minutes.  Transfer to a plate and repeat with the other 2 breasts.  Remove to the plate.

Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the frying pan.  Then add the curry powder and chickpeas and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until chickpeas are golden and starting to pop, about 3 minutes. Add the butter or olive oil, lemon juice and spinach and stir just until spinach starts to wilt, about 30 seconds.  Spoon chickpea mixture over chicken and serve.

                For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment