Saturday, July 25, 2020

Welcome to the World of Canned Chicken

Back when the Covid-19 pandemic started, I laid in a lot of supplies.  Gradually, though, I’ve been using them up in my daily cooking.  Only one item I bought gave me pause—the 12.5-ounce cans of cooked chicken breasts.  I noticed them at my big box store because they were sitting alone on a shelf that had been stripped of everything else.


I’m a big fan of canned tuna, but somehow I had never tasted canned chicken.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  The breast meat had been cut into chunks and large flakes, and they were sitting in salted water.  I drained the chicken and turned it into a dinner salad with celery, scallions and a homemade curry-flavored mayonnaise.  We ate more than half the salad and are looking forward to a second helping tonight.

Curried Chicken Salad - serves 2-3

1 12.5-ounce can chicken breast chunks and flakes, drained
2-3 scallions, green and white parts sliced thinly
I large celery stalk, sliced thinly

Dressing

3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3-4 drops hot pepper sauce

Combine the chicken, scallions and celery slices in a medium serving bowl and set aside.

Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, curry powder, cumin and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl and stir thoroughly.  Then spoon the dressing over the Chicken Salad or let diners add the dressing themselves.  Refrigerate leftovers, if any.

           For easy-to-make recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment