Monday, September 7, 2020

An Alternative Way to Cook Rice!


Rice always seemed the easiest side dish to make, but sometimes things can go wrong when cooking it. So I was not surprised when my friend Ilene asked me how I cook rice.

“Rice is such a great side dish for Asian and Mexican dishes or even meatloaf,” she said.  “With everyone cooking more at home now, I'm sure people are making lots of rice. And having under-cooked rice or having too much water boil off and burning it is no fun either.  How do you prevent those things from happening?”

I suggested she try cooking rice the way you cook pasta.  Bring a large pot half-full of water to a boil. Add 1 cup white rice to the boiling water and cook uncovered for about 12 minutes. Taste.  If it’s a little chewy, cook for another 2 minutes or until it’s the consistency you like.  Drain in a sieve, transfer to a bowl, fluff with a fork and serve.

Note: If you are using brown rice, it will take about twice as long to cook. 

                        For easy-to-make recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment