Thursday, September 17, 2020

Food Shopping at 7 am



Visiting the supermarket at the crack of dawn is an effective way to do a necessary chore without seeing many people.  This morning I spotted just four shoppers in my local grocery store at 7 am.  I was quick with my purchases and out of there in 10 minutes.

Effective, yes.  Inspired, no.  Back when life was simpler, I would stroll the aisles, thinking about what I might want to make for dinner.  I would notice new products, check out sales and be reminded that I was running out of yogurt.

Now the planning must be done either the night before or in the store’s parking lot before I put on my mask. Do I want to serve Roasted Chicken, Shrimp Stir-Fry (see above), Tilapia?  Do I need eggs?  Milk?  What should I get for the rest of the week? 

There is an unexpected bonus about shopping early in the morning.  A wide variety of meats, vegetable and fruit may be on sale.  I recently picked up 3 yellow bell peppers for $1 and a large boneless chicken breast, very thinly sliced and marinated in hot sauce, also for $1.  The sell-by date was the next day.  No problem for me.  We ate the chicken for dinner and held over the Shrimp Stir-Fry, which calls for those on-sale bell peppers, for tomorrow.

          For easy-to-make recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment