Saturday, December 5, 2020

Potatoes Are Not All the Same


I grew up eating Idaho potatoes (aka russet potatoes) and loving them, whether they be mashed, baked or fried.  Only later when I began to do my own shopping did I notice other potatoes on sale that were red, white and yellow.  I especially liked the yellow potatoes, known as Yukon Gold.  They make excellent baked potatoes as well as French fries and mashed.

According to Wikipedia, “'Yukon Gold' can stand up to both dry-heat and wet-heat cooking methods. Its waxy moist flesh and sweet flavor make it ideal for boiling, baking and frying, but these potatoes will also withstand grilling, pan frying, and roasting.”

Some supermarkets sell them loose while others offer them in 5- and 10-pound bags.  They may be a little more expensive than Idaho potatoes, but the improved taste is worth it.

           For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"



No comments:

Post a Comment