Saturday, December 19, 2020

Revisiting an Unliked Vegetable

I like bargains, so when I saw a 1-pound package of fresh okra on sale for 99 cents, I immediately bought it.  I didn’t begin salivating because a few minutes later I remembered that I wasn’t very fond of okra.

Nevertheless, I cooked it as a side dish and was very pleasantly surprised.  Maybe I had gotten it mixed up with another vegetable.  Okra is now on my good list, especially when it is cooked with a variety of Indian spices.  Making dinner every day can become tedious.  Why not add something new?

Spicy Okra – serves 4 as a side dish

1 pound fresh okra

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/2 cup water + more if needed

2 tablespoons lemon juice

Trim and discard the ends of each okra and cut what remains into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.

Begin heating the canola oil in a large frying pan or casserole dish.  When the pan is hot, add the garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt, red pepper flakes, water and lemon juice.  Stir for about 1 minute and then return the cut okra to the pan.  Turn the heat down to low, cover and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the okra has softened.  Add 1-2 more tablespoons water if it seems dry.

              For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment