Sunday, December 9, 2018

When I Learned to Love Spaghetti and Meatballs

Growing up in a coal-mining town in Pennsylvania meant different foods served at dinner, depending on where your parents came from.  My little town, about 15 miles Northeast of Pittsburgh, included many nationalities, drawn to the coal mining and steel working opportunities.

Thus was I introduced to Syrian sandwiches, made on bread much thicker and fresher than today’s packaged and often tasteless pita bread.  Or I might have been served that Polish classic, sauerkraut and kielbasa (sausage), or sticks of Greek souvlakia (aka shish kebab).  Or if I were eating at my grandmother’s house, I could count on boiled chicken.

I loved them all, but my favorite food from that time was Spaghetti and Meatballs.
  I seemed to have a special carbohydrate gene.  Once I was in my own apartment, I learned to make a quick version of this dish.  At the time it seemed good enough.

I’ve since realized that homemade tomato sauce greatly improves the flavor of Spaghetti and Meatballs, but does it make that much difference on a cold and rainy night?  Not if I’m really hungry.  I do make my own meatballs, though. 
Mom’s Homemade Meatballs – serves 8 with spaghetti

1 tablespoon fresh or dried rosemary 
1 pound ground turkey or beef
2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs 
1 large egg  
2 tablespoons milk  
1 teaspoon black pepper  
1 teaspoon chopped garlic  
1 teaspoon salt  
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes  
Place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  For easy cleanup, line a baking sheet with foil. 
Crush the rosemary in a mortar and pestle or break or cut into as small pieces as possible.  
Combine the rosemary with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.  Shape the mixture into 1-inch in diameter meatballs.  
Transfer the meatballs to the baking sheet and bake about 20 minutes, or until the meatballs begin to brown.  Remove from the oven and serve immediately.  Or set aside until ready to eat and then reheat briefly  in the spaghetti sauce. 
                              For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment