Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Emergency: Bring on the Ground Turkey


I try to make a list before I go get groceries, although sometimes I leave the list on the counter.  Other times I’m in the store looking at the list and somehow failing to see one of the items I’ve written down.  I have yet to understand why that happens.  I’ve just been to the eye doctor, and I am not going blind.

Maybe to compensate, I always buy a package of ground turkey when it’s on sale—even if it’s not on my list.  I probably just forgot to write it down.

Ground turkey is a remarkably versatile ingredient.  Over the years I’ve used it to make Burgers, Chili, Meatballs, Meatloaf, Spaghetti Bolognese, Sloppy Joe’s, Tacos and Enchiladas.  And if for some reason I can’t use it right away, I freeze it.

Tonight we’re having Turkey Burgers but with an Asian twist.  They’ll be ready in 20 minutes. 
Asian Turkey Burgers – serves 3 (adapted from “Help! My Apartment Has a Dining Room!”)  
1 pound ground turkey 
2 scallions, cleaned and cut into 1/2-pieces 
2 tablespoons soy sauce 
1 teaspoon sesame oil 
1 teaspoon chopped garlic 
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger 
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
3 sandwich buns 
1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil 
Combine the turkey, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl and mix.  Shape the mixture into 3 large flat patties.  
Turn the oven to 250 degrees and set the sandwich buns on an oven rack to warm. 
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.  Add the patties and cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until there is no pink in the middle of the patties.  Cut into a patty to make sure.  They need to be cooked thoroughly. 
Remove the buns from the oven, slice them in half and place a patty in each.  Serve immediately.
                        For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment