Thursday, May 11, 2017

I Can Make That Too: Honey Shrimp in Mom’s Kitchen vs. the Restaurant Version

Mom's Honey Shrimp
Until I ate some Honey Shrimp at Pho Show in Redondo Beach, CA, it never occurred to me to combine these two ingredients.  They work surprisingly well together.  And here I thought the best match-up with shrimp was cocktail sauce!

That’s because of my Western Pennsylvania childhood.  The only times I ever had shrimp was at restaurants, and they were always served as Shrimp Cocktail.  How ignorant I was.

What a surprise to move to Manhattan, where Chinese restaurants flourished.  At the time Kung Pao Shrimp was a big deal.  Then it was Salt & Pepper Shrimp and Southern Fried Shrimp. In London I discovered Shrimp Curry, Tandoori Shrimp and Shrimp Masala.  I also found out I could buy shrimp at the fish counter.

I still make Shrimp Cocktail once in a while, but I’ve moved on. Now that I’ve added Honey Shrimp to my must-serve list, I’m on the prowl for something new.  Suggestions?
Honey Shrimp – serves 3-4 
1 pound large raw shrimp (16-25 per pound)
1/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon canola or peanut oil
1/2 pound snow peas, strings removed
5 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 cups cooked rice 
Peel the shrimp and put them in a medium bowl. 
Combine the honey, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.  Pour half the mixture over the shrimp, stir and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. 
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat.  Add the shrimp mixture and stir-fry for about 3 minutes, making sure to cook both sides of the shrimp.  Add the rest of the honey sauce to the shrimp and stir.  Then add the snow peas and scallion pieces and stir-fry for another minute.  Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with rice. 
Pho Show's Honey Shrimp
                                  For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment