Monday, June 26, 2017

How Often Do Your Dinners Seem Like Restaurant Fare?


Not very often at my house?  Maybe it’s because I’m usually in a hurry or I’m obsessed with using up leftovers. 

This week I had two graduations to go to, both starting at 6 pm, so eating did not begin until after 8 pm.  Who wants to be in the kitchen after spending two hours in a football stadium cheering on the new grads?

One of those nights I was drafted to make pizza for the new grad.  The other night we stumbled home and had leftovers.

Last night I was finally inspired to make something gourmet-worthy—using my definition of gourmet, which is something I would not be ashamed to serve to guests. 

I chose Catfish Masala.  It was quick and easy, and I was shocked how good it was. It would certainly stand up well against any fish dish in an Indian restaurant.  I even used not-quite-thawed fish.  Unfortunately we ate it all up, so there are no leftovers.

Catfish Masala – serves 2 (adapted from “Faster! I’m Starving!”)  
3/4 pound catfish, red snapper or tilapia
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil (divided use)
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 medium tomato, roughly chopped
1/2 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
Cut the fish into 2-inch pieces.  You can use frozen fish, if you like. 
Begin heating 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat.  Add the fish and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and transfer the fish and any liquid to a bowl. 
Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the pan and begin heating over medium-high heat.  Add the onion, tomato and bell pepper and cook about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. 
Add the garlic, ginger, paprika, coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt and cayenne pepper and mix well.  Return the partly cooked fish and liquid to the pan and stir gently so the fish is covered with sauce.  Turn down the heat to medium, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the fish is firm.  Serve immediately.
                            For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment