Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Question for Mom


If I put too much salt in something I’m cooking, how do I get it out? – Henry H.

Cooks have tried all kinds of tricks to get rid of extra salt, but I’ve found only one thing that works: doubling the recipe without adding any further salt.  Of course, this is practical only if you happen to have the extra ingredients on hand and the time to prepare the recipe again. 

Some people believe that if you add a large slice of raw potato to the salty mixture, let it cook for 10-15 minutes and then discard it, the salt will be gone.  That has never worked for me. 

If you have a habit of over-salting, leave out the salt altogether (unless you’re baking) and let people add it at the table.

                     See all Questions for Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment