Friday, January 12, 2018

Avocado Toast


I need to get in the Avocado Toast business, now that I realize some people will pay $17 for something I can make for less than a dollar. And that includes homemade wholegrain bread.

I’m not usually on the cutting edge of restaurant dishes, and I’m probably behind the curve on this one too.  But I am a big fan of avocados. 

I didn’t discover this fruit until I was an adult and went grocery shopping with a friend.  He mentioned that his mother often served avocados so I bought one as a dinner side dish.  Regrettably he didn’t mention that avocados are only really edible when they’re ripe.  Under-ripe avocados, which are rock-like, have no taste, and once you cut into them they will not ripen further.  Over-ripe avocados are usually mushy, riddled with black spots and have an off  taste.

In their natural just-ripe state, avocados have a delicate flavor.  Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing poured into the cavity where the very large avocado seed once was boosts the taste.  Check out this link.  This was my go-to appetizer when I lived in London.

Avocado Toast is a good alternative.
Right now avocados are plentiful in California. If you’re a careful shopper you might find 3 small ones for 99 cents, 1 large one for 99 cents and 1 giant one for $1.50.
Avocado Toast – serves 2 as an appetizer or snack 
2 small or 1 large ripe avocado(s)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 slices toasted wholegrain or good quality white bakery bread
Several dashes cayenne pepper 
Cut the avocado(s) in half and remove and discard the seed(s).  Using a spoon, scoop out each half of the avocado, put them in a bowl and mash with a fork.  Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and mix until incorporated.  Spread the avocado mixture equally on the toasted bread and sprinkle some cayenne pepper on top.  Cut each slice of bread into 4 fingers and serve immediately.  
                            For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment