Monday, January 15, 2018

Who Says Rice Is Boring?

Dinner Party Rice
Actually, me.  And it is boring the way I tend to make it.  Water – rice – boil - eat – reheat or make Fried Rice with the leftovers.  It’s simple.  It’s easy.  It’s bland.  It goes with just about anything except pizza or pasta.

I changed my mind about rice after my friend Grace, who’s from South America, served me her Dinner Party Rice.  Not only is her rice pretty to look at but also it tastes better than the average bowl of rice.

Part of that may be that she added a whole stick of butter to the pot while she was sautéing the scallions.  When I made my version of her recipe a few days later, I compromised and added just two tablespoons butter.  I also left out the nuts because a family member has a nut allergy.

Nevertheless, Grace’s Dinner Party Rice was a big hit.  We had 11 people at the table, and barely any was left. 
Dinner Party Rice – serves 12-16 
1 cup uncooked wild rice
1 cup uncooked brown or white jasmine rice
2 tablespoons butter (or more if you like lots of butter)
1 cup chopped scallions, both white and green parts
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper 
In separate pots cook the wild rice and the jasmine rice, following the directions, and then let them cool. 
Add the butter to a small pot and then sauté the scallions, apricots, nuts (if using) and lemon rind for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the scallions soften. 
Combine the two rices in a large pot or wok.  Stir in the scallion mixture, salt, pepper and any remaining melted butter.  Mix thoroughly and cook over medium-high heat until hot.  
Transfer to a large bowl and serve. 

                         For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment