Saturday, March 31, 2018

Tellicherry Peppercorns: What Are They and How Do I Use Them?


Black pepper is simply black pepper – right?  Actually that’s not true, but I only recently realized it.  When I first began cooking, black pepper was not a spice I gave much thought to.  My only concern was that I not add too much of it and ruin the dish. 

Then as I became more familiar with Indian cuisine and new flavors, I began building up my spice rack.  That’s when I discovered Szechuan Peppercorns  I used them sparingly because they were expensive, and also they provided a distinctive taste that I didn’t want every day.

More importantly, though, I became more aware that black pepper wasn’t just a generic spice. 
Most home cooks like me have peppermills and probably don’t pay much attention to what peppercorns they put in them.  

Tellicherry peppercorns get their name from the town in India where they grow on vines.  They are harvested, dried and sold whole.  Chefs prize them for their complex taste. I like their scent. 

I first noticed these peppercorns in Costco.  The price was right, so I bought a 14-ounce jar, used it up and bought another one.  I’m hooked.

                       For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment