Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Shortcuts in the Kitchen

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
 I love shortcuts when they work.  And you never know if they will work until you test them.  I tried what I thought might be a shortcut yesterday and was mightily disappointed.  I’ll say this much – it involved using packaged frozen chocolate chip cookie dough as a crust

I’d read about this in a magazine recently, and it sounded clever and quick.  It was clever and quick.  And the end result looked quite presentable.  It just didn’t taste very good.   I should have made my own chocolate chip cookie dough - but then it wouldn't have been a shortcut.

To me, taste outranks appearance, cleverness, convenience and speed.  If I don’t want to eat it, what’s the point of making it?

Wait!  I can think of one reason: feeding teenagers.  They will eat anything with sugar in it.  So I was surprised when the family’s 16-year-old was uninterested in a second Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar.  “I’m full,” he said tactfully as he loaded his plate into the dishwasher.

Anybody have a shortcut they’re willing to share?

                            For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment