Thursday, June 28, 2018

When a Recipe Ingredient Looks Wrong


I have often clipped out a recipe from a newspaper’s food page and then the following week noticed a correction.  Maybe the cooking time was wrong or an ingredient was left out.  Had I followed the recipe, it might have been a disaster. 

Such corrections make me cautious when trying new recipes.  Now I always read through the ingredients and directions several times, looking for anything that might be off.  Baking cookies at 500 degrees—no way.

Recently I came across an Iranian-inspired Legume Noodle Soup recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi.  It had a lot of ingredients, but the one that seemed strangest to me was this: “about 2 cups cilantro leaves, chopped.”  That’s a lot of cilantro.  Unlike fresh parsley, fresh cilantro has a strong flavor.  I assumed this was a mistake, but I never saw a correction.

Feeling adventurous one afternoon, I decided to make this soup.  It took several hours, and I considered leaving the cilantro out or adding just a few sprigs.  I didn’t want to ruin the dish. 

However, I have used Ottolenghi recipes before with success.  So I took a leap of faith and added all the cilantro specified.  Happily it did not overpower the soup.  Instead, the cilantro mellowed out when cooked.  I barely tasted it.

I guess the lesson here is to use recipes written by someone you trust.

                  For easy recipes, get a copy of "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment