Sunday, July 15, 2018

Measuring Cups and Measuring Spoons: What Are They and How Do I Use Them?


This is an easy question, and you probably know the answer. But I bet you don’t always use these cooking tools when you should.  I know I don’t, and sometimes the end result suffers.

When I don’t use them?

1) Measuring vanilla extract.  It costs so much that I don’t want to waste any left on the spoon.  But then maybe I add more than I should.

2) Measuring something sticky like peanut butter, which clings to the cup and is hard to scrape out.  Sometimes I remember to first wipe the inside of the cup with oil, which prevents the peanut butter from sticking.

3) Measuring flour when I’m making bread or pizza.  I confess that I don’t always use a knife to level across the top of the cup.  I tend to eyeball it, knowing that if I add a little too much flour and the dough is too stiff, I can then add a bit more water to counteract it.

When I always use them?

1) When I’m adding salt.  Too much salt can ruin just about anything.  Once you’ve added it, there’s usually no taking it back – unless you’ve added it to dry ingredients and you can actually see the salt granules lying on top in a pile.  Scoop out and discard the excess.

2) When I’m adding baking powder or baking soda.  These ingredients have a major effect on baking cakes and cookies.  Too much or too little can ruin the final product.

3) When I’m adding spices, especially black pepper and cayenne pepper.  Too much of either of these can make food inedible.  You can always add more if the dish isn’t spicy enough, but you can’t take it away.

Measuring cups are usually available in these sizes: 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup and 1 cup.

Measuring spoons are usually available in these sizes: 1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon.  Sometimes you can also find 1/8 teaspoon and 1/2 tablespoon measures.

                                     See all Questions for Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment