Monday, August 13, 2018

How Much Meat Is Too Much?


I remember the rare occasions when my family would eat out.  If we were traveling, my father would always pull up to a Howard Johnson’s and order Veal Parmesan.  It was almost like he was a taste-tester, going from restaurant to restaurant, making sure the food was identical.

When we were at home, though, he switched his eating-out preference to Roast Prime Rib of Beef. That’s a cut of meat we all loved, and on those rare occasions when we ate out that’s what we all ordered. 

Looking back, I can’t believe how much meat arrived on my plate and how little remained when the wait staff took my plate away.  Today 1 slice of prime rib would probably serve 4 people at my house.


The other day I spotted a 1-pound package of thinly cut pieces of beef, labeled “stir-fry.”  Feeling nostalgic, I bought it, stir-fried it with some mushrooms, scallions, sugar snap peas and some leftover cauliflower and served it over mashed potatoes.  

It reminded me of my childhood.
Stir-Fried Steak – serves 3-4 
3 teaspoons olive or canola oil, divided use
1/2 pound sugar snap peas, strings removed
4-6 medium mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
1 cup cooked cauliflower (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound beef steak (sirloin, ribeye, tenderloin or strip), cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
Mashed potatoes (optional)

Begin heating 2 teaspoons of the olive or canola oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat.  When it’s hot, add the sugar snap peas, mushrooms, scallions, cauliflower (if using), garlic, soy sauce and black pepper and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to soften.  Transfer the contents of the wok to a large bowl and set aside.

Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the wok or pan and when it is hot, add the steak strips.  Stir-fry for about 1 minute or until the meat has mostly browned.  Add the cooked vegetables and any liquid to the wok or pan and stir-fry for another minute or 2, or until the mixture is hot.  Serve immediately over mashed potatoes.
                            For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment