Saturday, December 29, 2018

Sriracha: What Is It and How Do I Use It?


Start the year off with a taste bud bang with this super-spicy hot sauce.  Popularized by David Tran, a Vietnamese refugee who emigrated to the U.S. in 1979, Sriracha Hot Sauce is the most in-demand condiment Tran created in his Southern California factory.  No one knows exactly what else is in this sauce, but sugar, salt, vinegar and garlic are likely ingredients.

At the recommendation of a friend, I bought a bottle of Sriracha soon after it came on the market.  I quickly learned not to douse my food with it – just use a few drops for flavor.  The sauce’s key ingredient, fresh jalapeño chili peppers, is HOT.  Some family members find it too hot, but at least one fearlessly adds several dollops to almost everything he eats.

I like to include a few drops of Sriracha to mayonnaise or Ranch Salad Dressing.  Others use it to spice up popcorn or meat dishes.

                       For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment