Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Leftover Lamb


I came to roasting a leg of lamb quite late in my cooking life.  Mainly I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to carve it properly. Unlike a prime rib of beef, which has one big bone, a leg of lamb has 2 major bones that present themselves at odd angles.  Most recipes make a big deal out of how to carve this cut without making a fool of yourself.

Since a leg of lamb is expensive, it was highly unlikely that I would ever buy one just for Bart and me.  There would be way too much meat for the two of us.  What would I do with the leftovers?

Instead of worrying about this, I got my lamb fix from an occasional chop or ground lamb, which makes excellent burgers.  Then I discovered boneless leg of lamb.  It too is expensive, but it’s much easier to carve.  It looks rather ugly without its bones, but when you’re cutting slices just treat it like a large loaf of bread. 

As for the leftovers, they're easy to deal with.  Just slice them, trim off any visible fat and cut into bite-size pieces.  Then add them to this lamb stew.
Middle Eastern Lamb Stew – serves 3-4 
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1½ cups cooked lamb, cut in 1-inch pieces
1½ cups cooked Basmati rice
1 cup vegetable broth + more if needed
8 dried apricots, cut in half
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or 1/2 teaspoon dried mint 
Add the oil to a large pan and begin heating over low heat.  When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic and cinnamon and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions have begun to soften.

Add the lamb and rice and stir the mixture briefly.  Add the vegetable broth and apricots and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the mint, stir to incorporate.  If the mixture seems too dry, add 1/4 cup more broth.  Serve immediately or let cool and reheat when needed. 
                          For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment