Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Question for Mom

Onion Quiche
A lot of recipes say to preheat the oven before putting food in to cook.  Are there any dishes you can bake without preheating?  --Amy V.

When you’re baking cakes, pies, cookies, quiches, bagels or anything made with yeast, pre-heating the oven is very important.  Just a few days ago I put my pizza stone in the oven but forgot to turn on the heat.  When I was about to slide my homemade pizza onto the stone, I suddenly realized my mistake. 

So the uncooked pizza sat on the counter on the pizza paddle until
my oven reached 500 degrees.  We had a late dinner, but the pizza cooked properly.  I probably could have winged it and started with a cold oven.  If you search around, you can find bread recipes that say 'no-preheating necessary.'  But I wouldn’t have known how long to bake the pizza. I would have kept opening the oven door to check.  That would not have been good.  

Some dishes aren’t affected by putting them in a cold oven and then turning on the heat.  Examples include baked potatoes, beets, onions and other root vegetables such as parsnips and turnips.  Length of baking varies slightly, but a platter of roasted vegetables may be fully roasted in 30 minutes with a preheated oven but won’t be harmed if they stay in the oven for 40 minutes with a cold start.  Test for doneness by poking with a fork

                                       See all Questions for Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment