Saturday, January 26, 2019

Turmeric Root: What Is It and How Do I Cook with It?


When a new food item appeared in my local cut-price supermarket, I figured that some people were already fans, while lots of others were wondering what it was.  I was a wonderer, which is how I came to buy some fresh turmeric root.

As I was putting a small piece of this knotty, misshapen spice in a plastic bag, another shopper asked me what it was. She was intrigued by its alien look.  I left her gazing suspiciously at a display of turmeric roots, priced at $5.99 a pound.  Sounds expensive, but these roots are considerably lighter in weight than their cousin, fresh ginger.  My 2-inch purchase cost 12 cents.

Ground Turmeric (bottom), Fresh Turmeric Root (top)
Fresh ginger is yellow inside, while the interior of fresh turmeric root is golden orange.  Both have brown papery skin that can be removed with a potato peeler, and both are popular ingredients in Asian cuisine, especially Indian dishes. 

Until recently fresh turmeric root wasn't readily available in supermarkets.  Instead cooks used ground turmeric, which is sold everywhere and is an ingredient of curry powder.  Ground turmeric, also golden orange, is made by boiling turmeric roots, then drying them and finally grinding them.

Fresh turmeric root has a peppery taste and smell.  Eaten raw it tastes bitter, but cooking mellows it out.  Use slivers or finely diced pieces in place of ground turmeric, but double or triple the amount of ground turmeric called for.

Store in the fridge, loosely wrapped in plastic, or in the freezer, fully wrapped in plastic.

Here are some ways to use fresh turmeric root:

* Making white rice more colorful.

* Cooking fresh okra


* Preparing Catfish Masala

                  For more easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment