Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Just About Any Topping Goes with Spaghetti—Even Mussels


I love spaghetti so much that I could eat it every night of the week.  When I was younger, Spaghetti with Garlic Sauce was my dish of choice.  Hot pasta mixed with fresh chopped garlic, Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley kept me and my food budget happy.

Bart introduced me to Spaghetti with Clam Sauce (aka Spaghetti Vongole).  I immediately liked it, possibly because it bears a great resemblance to Spaghetti with Garlic Sauce, minus clams and tomatoes.

Gradually I came to crave Spaghetti Bolognese, Spaghetti with Meatballs and Spaghetti Carbonara and figured out how to make them.

Now a bag of fresh mussels inspired me to try Spaghetti with Mussel Sauce.  Why not?  It’s one of the easiest meals I’ve ever made and only a little messy to eat.

The hardest thing is finding fresh mussels.  Costco sometimes sells them on weekends, but you have to really search for them.  When you do find them, you will likely have to clean them before cooking.  Below are cleaning and cooking directions.

MOM TIP: Check the frozen seafood section of your grocery store, where you may find boxes of cleaned, cooked, frozen mussels. 
Spaghetti and Mussel Sauce – serves 2 
1 pound fresh mussels in their shells
1/2 pound uncooked spaghetti
1/2 cup Marinara or Vodka Sauce + more if needed 
Clean the fresh mussels and cook them according to these directions: https://momscookinghelp.blogspot.com/2016/04/i-can-make-that-too-mussels-in-moms.html#more Set aside. 
Cook the spaghetti noodles according to the directions on the package. 
While the noodles are cooking, reheat the mussels in their shells, discarding any that are broken. 
Drain the noodles and transfer them to two soup bowls.  Add 1/4 cup sauce to each bowl and stir, adding more sauce if preferred.  Top each plate of noodles with half the cooked mussels. Add some hot liquid from the mussel pot if you like.  Serve immediately with plenty of napkins and empty side plates for mussel shells.
                        For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment