Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Chewing Through Memory Lane

Chopped  Vegetable and Barley Salad
For most of my adult life, I have maintained a notebook of recipes I like.  Every once in a while, when temporary amnesia sets in, I flip through it for ideas.

Sometimes I’m aghast at what I once thought worth cooking.  Other times I’m thrilled when I see a recipe from my grandmother or my mother-in-law that I’d forgotten about. Here’s a salad that I’d overlooked for a few years. Now that summer is approaching it is back on my dining table. 
Chopped Vegetable and Barley Salad – serves 6-8 
         1 cup uncooked pearl barley  
          4 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch slices 
         3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-pieces 
         2 ears corn, shucked, cooked in boiling water for 2 minutes and kernels cut off 
         2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced 
         2 stalks celery, thinly sliced 
         1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces 
         1 large cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces 
         1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces 
         1 teaspoon salt 
         1/2 teaspoon black pepper 
          Vinaigrette dressing  
To cook the barley:  Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium pot.  Add the rinsed barley and cook, covered, on low heat, for 40-45 minutes, or until the grains are tender yet chewy.  Check it occasionally and add more water if necessary to avoid the barley from sticking to the bottom of the pan.  Drain and set aside.  
While the barley is cooking, prepare the vegetables. 
Transfer the barley and prepared vegetables to a large bowl.  Sprinkle with salt and black pepper and toss.  Add vinaigrette dressing and toss again.  
NOTE: to make this salad into a main course, add 1-2 cups cooked shrimp or leftover meat or chicken cut into bite-size pieces.  Serve with garlic bread.
                               For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment